
I'm sitting in my office - a.k.a. the corner chair and ottoman in the family room. There is a small side table to my left with a glass of water on top and a tall floor lamp to my right, just purchased this week.
The lamp is what makes this spot so cozy. I've spent the last 3 months sitting in this very spot, studying, reading, listening to music - all under the ever glowing effervescence of a florescent light. I hate (yes, hate) florescent lights. There is not one redeeming virtue about them.
This past week I went out on a mission - to buy a lamp. I ended up buying three. When you go shopping in this fantastic country you have to know what you are looking for. You can't just go to Target and see what's on sale and in style. If you want a sweater, you go to sweater street. If you want a computer, you go to the computer market. And if you want a lamp, you go to the lighting store. Unfortunately the options for lighting are a bit extreme. I literally saw a lamp that doubled as an end table, complete with a functioning water wheel, mosaic glass base and victorian lace shade. No kidding. If I had my camera with me I would have posted a picture for your viewing enjoyment. Since I didn't you will have to use your imagination, which I promise is probably nowhere near as crazy as what the reality was.
After my unsuccessful trip to the lighting store I found myself back at my old standby - Eleven Furniture (or as we like to call it "Fakekea"). I ended up with three lamps - identical except for size and lamp shade color. It's not exactly what I pictured in my Better Homes and Gardens imagination but it works. I know I commented previously on how carpet can make such a difference in my home. Well, lighting does the same thing! It's amazing how I actually WANT to get up out of bed now that I know I have a lamp waiting to light my way through the Word and not that glaring object shining so blazenly from the ceiling.
I've been wondering why it is that small things like carpet, candles, music, fragrance, and lamps can change my attitude and outlook on life. Why do these things bring me comfort and joy? Would I be okay without these things? Do I feel that I am I entitled to them?
I've come to the conclusion that although I am NOT entitled to them and I WOULD be okay without them, I am SO THANKFUL for them. They are like the icing on the cake. The cherry on top. The things that make my house a home. Everyone needs something different to make themselves comfortable and at peace. I need my family, first. I need my home, second.
I never really considered how much I needed my home to feel like a home until I moved here, to a place that feels so much unlike home that sometimes I want to just scream and hide. There is one place and one place only that I feel totally comfortable and at peace - here in my home with my family. In America I could go to Starbucks, the mall, Target, the school, the park...almost anywhere....and feel fine, at peace, normal. Here - it's a different story. Every time I leave the house it takes planning - is it going to rain, how long will I be gone, do I need to get cash, which bus do I take, or should I take a taxi, do I need to look up words that I might have to use, am I going to see anyone I know, do I need to bring bags to carry purchases, will I be able to get back home?????????? It's SO much easier to just.stay.home. Where there is peace.joy.harmony.english!!!!!
But I can't stay home. That's not my job. It's not my personality. And ultimately, even though I LOVE to be home, it's not what I want. I want to be out. I want to be active. I want to be involved in my world. But I also want to feel comfortable and at peace in that world. Right now that world brings chaos and stress. That is why is nice, and necessary, to have the carpet, candles, music, fragrance and lighting to make me feel at home in my home.
What makes you feel at home? What brings peace and joy to your day - the little things you might take for granted or never really consider? Celebrate those things! Go make some brownies. Go light a candle (or plug in your Glade plug-in). Go take a bath and use your good smelling lotions. Go to Starbucks drive-thru on a rainy night! Go hug your kids, kiss your husband and scratch your dog behind the ears. Celebrate home!
