You see, we live in a place where you actually have to choose to celebrate any given holiday. It doesn't just happen to you. In America you can't escape from it! The commercialism of Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter and even President's Day is EVERYwhere. Go to the store to buy bread - you are immediately greeted with leaf and pumpkin shaped cookies. Go to Starbucks for your morning latte - would you like Pumpkin Spice or Gingerbread? Go to the movies, you know - to get away from it all. Your options include Merry Madagascar. Need to buy new shoes to run away your stress? Don't even think about going to the mall! You'll be greeted with eager and determined shoppers rushing aimlessly about to the joyous melodies of I'll Be Home For Christmas and Have a Holly Jolly Christmas. You pretty much can't forget that the holidays are here, or at least fast approaching.
Here, not so. As a matter of fact, I woke up this very morning and thought: when exactly is Thanksgiving anyways? To my surprise everyone on FB was already talking about their cooking plans. Had it not been for my FB connections I may have truly forgotten about Thanksgiving all together. I am not kidding. I think it would be so easy to completely choose not to (or just forget to) celebrate any given holiday! That kinda scares me.
You see, I have kids. And they KNOW Christmas happens EVERY year. If mommy and daddy forget about Christmas and they realize mid-Feb, guess who will be putting up the tree and making Christmas cookies while the rest of you are being bombarded with advertisements convincing you of the need for a day to tell the ones you love that you actually love them?
Of course I am being a bit facetious. We will NOT forget about Christmas. (I Promise) But we almost did forget about Thanksgiving. Needless to say my usual Thanksgiving traditions are being rewritten. This year there will be no "thankful tree". Or at least not one I made. We are actually celebrating with our friends and the lady of the house has already made a HUGE tree and pasted it on her front door. The only difference between hers and mine is that hers is made from felt and fabric. Mine is usually made from the largest stick like branch we can find in the yard (which we do not have), and hand cut construction paper leaves (which we also do not have). Since she is hosting I just didn't think it right to bring our "thankful tree" and show her up in her own house. Right?
For this joint meal I am contributing Cranberry Pinwheel Bread, Sweet and Sour Meatballs, Rosemary Potatoes and a Swiss Cake Roll (no, not that kind...) One of the joys of being pregnant this time of year is the ability/privilege to eat whatever and how much ever appeals to my ever growing belly. For that, I am thankful.
So, tomorrow is the day. I'm sure I won't forget for my tired body will remind me, even if the world around me does not.
